Thinking of Getting your Alberta Real Estate License? Do you want to become a successful Real Estate Agent? Here's how to become a REALTOR®! | sutton group - lethbridge Real Estate Brokerage
Are you at the point in life where you are looking for a new career? Maybe you have a family and need a career that offers a balance of work and family? Or...you just need a change and the thought of working to help clients find their dream home and get the best price for their current home appeals to you? A career in real estate may be just what you are looking for.
However, as with the most rewarding jobs, you just can begin to sell real estate - you need to go through the proper channels to become a REALTOR®. Here's your guide to getting your Alberta Real Estate License and how to begin your journey to a new and exciting career!
Why Choose Real Estate as a Career?
As a REALTOR®, you will enjoy a fulfilling, dynamic, and rewarding career. You get out of it what you put into it. Here are some reasons that Real Estate can be right for you...
1) Flexible Schedule...Who doesn't want to set their own schedule? As a REALTOR®, you can be an independent contractor, meaning you will... a) Be your own boss; b) Set your own Schedule; c) Build your client base; d) Choose your preferred marketing methods.
2) Work and Family Balance...You have to make a living to pay bills and help support your family, but you don't want to miss out on your family either. Due to flexible scheduling, you can have it all; real estate offers you the ability to balance work & family life.
3) Help Clients Accomplish their Goals... There is a certain satisfaction in helping clients find their next home. Whether they're a young couple looking for their first home, a growing family needing a larger property, or even the retired couple looking to downsize, you will be helping clients find the perfect fit for them.
4) Grow Your Reputation... Most people sell and buy houses many times throughout their lives. By giving exceptional customer service to your clients, you increase the chance that they will call you when they want to sell or buy again. This puts you in control of your client retention and lets you build your client base and grow your reputation as a REALTOR® who works hard for their clients.
5) Business growth is all up to you...There are no limits to the growth of your real estate business, and you can realize fantastic rewards if you couple a good attitude with a superior work ethic!
What are the Requirements for Becoming a REALTOR®?
Before obtaining your Alberta Real Estate License, there are eligibility requirements that you must meet. You...
1) Must be a Canadian citizen, hold a permanent resident card, or a work permit in order to sell Real Estate in Alberta;
2) Must be fluent in English;
3) Must be 18 years of age or older.
Steps to Become a REALTOR®
Those who choose to work in real estate have the ability to practice in four different areas... You don't have to choose just one - you can work in as many sectors that interest you that you'd like!
1) Residental; consists of helping clients buy and sell residential properties (up to and including 4 units);
2) Commercial; consists of helping clients buy and sell buildings and property zoned for commercial use;
3) Rural; the buying and selling of farmland and ranches'
4) Property Management; REALTORS® lease properties on behalf of the property owners.
Required Real Estate Courses
The courses required to become a REALTOR® should be taken seriously. They are designed to arm you with the knowledge and tools that you need to be successful in the real estate industry. Each candidate must take the course entitled "The Fundamentals of Real Estate'. Then, candidates are offered a series of practice courses, one focused on each of the four areas of real estate. The entire program must be completed successfully within 18 months.
Joining a Brokerage
After successfully completing the required educational requirements, the next step is to gain employment with a brokerage. Working for a brokerage is mandatory before you are able to apply for your Alberta Real Estate License. Brokers have undergone extensive training and will guide and teach you how to be successful in real estate.
Submit an Application for your License
Once a brokerage has hired you, then you have 12 months to apply for an Associate Application for LIcense and Registration. Keep in mind that there will be sections of the application that will need to be filled out by your brokerage. You will also have to submit a recent Certified Criminal Record Check. Both of these are mandatory in order to become licensed. Each candidate must pass the written licensing exam with a score of at least 70% in order to obtain their Alberta Real Estate License.
Become a Part of Our TEAM!!
At sutton group - lethbridge, we take pride in our community and we are passionate about helping our clients sell their properties and find their dream homes. Whether you are looking to sell your current home, find your dream home, or join a team as REALTOR®, we are happy to help! Contact us today and let us show you how we can help!